in Property Law
Asked September 25, 2018

Daughter's right to property

  • 4 Answers

Dear Sir / mam, I married my wife on 10th FEB 2014. Now I am living in Chennai and have one girl child. My wife is the only daughter to her family. Her Mom was dead on 6months before my marriage. Now last year back her father married a woman and she is having 20yrs girl child. Her father is having one property in Chennai. The property is under her father name. Actually the property was bought on 20yrs back. My wife mother was sold her gold ornaments and her own properties got from her mother side. Now my wife is asking for the property. He is telling that I will write all properties to a new married woman. You have no rights to ask. You go anywhere and put case on me. No one will do anything. Now my wife was helpless to get her rights. No document copy also with her. So kindly help……………………………… Rgds Balaji.s

Answers 4


      The property is in the name of her father and therefore he is free to do whatever he likes. If the property was purchased jointly then there would have been a case. Otherwise you can't demand a share unless it is an ancestral property.


Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

Avail the most and most suited solution to your query from our form – “Opinion @99- For further clarification pleases call +91-9555763955

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

If the property purchased in the name of your mother in law then your wife can claim partition suit against her father and if the property purchased in the name of your father in law then you can't do anything till the death of your father in law during his lifetime he can dispos off the property as per his own choice.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

The property stood in the name of your wife father. so he has legal right to sell it or disposses according to his will. but if you are in possession you can claim your rights saying the property was purchased from her mothers money and your wife has also invested money in constructing the house and file a bare injunction suit. then he may come to settle the matter. 

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 3 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.