in Civil Procedure Law Procedural Law
Asked August 11, 2021

Debt recovery

  • 1 Answer

I need to recover some outstanding debt which has been unpaid for a long time. What kind of suit should I file? Can I file a criminal case or should I go with summary suits?

Answer 1

You can file both a summary suit under Order XXXVII of the CPC as well as a criminal case under Section 406 or 420 of the IPC. The most efficient way is the former however as the time taken is far lesser as compared to a criminal case as is the requirement of evidence and other such documents. If you want to go down the longer route for the sake of the retributive punishments in a criminal case, you can do so, but the easiest way to just recover outstanding debt is summary suits. 

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 1 year ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.