Asked August 23, 2016

Delayed services by the bank in home loan

  • 4 Answers

What do I do in case of Delayed services by the bank in home loan procedure?

Answers 4

Sir if your papers are correct and there is no fault on  your side then kindly request them in writing and if they fail to expediate the process approach the consumer forum for deficiency in service and claim compenstaion for the loss suffered. you can also appraoch Bank Ombudsman  and if it does not give relief then file consumer case.

Agree Comment 1 Agree over 5 years ago

Bank is a service provider in terms of the Consumer Protection Act and thus, you may file a consumer complaint against the bank in the Court. However, while doing that it would have to be seen whether you were maintaining a bank account at the time you applied for the loan. Also, it will have to ascertained as to what was the nature of the said account i.e. if were a personal banking account, a current acoount or any other type of bank account.

Agree Comment 1 Agree over 5 years ago

Default avatar
Saurabh Kumar

According to the Banking Codes and Standard Board of India, here are the steps you need to take to redress your grievance-

Step 1: Complain to your bank

A customer can visit the bank and meet the officials to sort out the issue. Banks have a dedicated toll-free customer care number, which you can use to lodge your grievance and get a complaint ID. You can also register a complaint on the bank's website.

E-mails can also be sent to the service quality department in public-sector banks. This is an exclusive unit dealing with customer grievances and headed by an executive of the rank of general manager. The complaints posted directly on the bank's website are also resolved by this departments. Some banks have begun or are in the process of starting a real-time monitoring system for the complaints received centrally through the customer relationship management (CRM), which is set up in all branches.

Once the complaint is lodged, the customer needs to wait for 30 days for the bank to offer a solution or give a suitable reply.

Step 2: Approach the banking ombudsman

If your bank doeofficial appointed by the Reserve Bank of India to redress customer complaints against deficiency in banking services, as per its scheme introduced in 1995. All scheduled commercial banks, regional rural banks and scheduled primary cooperative banks are covered under the scheme. So far, there are 15 ombudsmen, whose offices are located mostly in state capitals. Their addresses and contact details are available on the RBI website.

The ombudsman tries to effect a legally binding settlement between both the parties within a month. However, if a settlement is not possible, it will pass an award after allowing both the parties to present their cases to him. Deficiency in service with respect to loans and advances, say, delays in sanctioning/disbursing loans and non-acceptance of loan applications without a valid explanation, are also valid grounds for complaint. For a complete list of the types of complaints you can take up under this scheme, visit -


Lodging a complaint

You have to file the complaint at the office of the ombudsman under whose jurisdiction your bank branch is located. The grievances relating to credit cards and other types of services with centralised operations are to be filed with the ombudsman in whose territorial jurisdiction the billing address of the customer is located.

You can put it down on a plain paper, send an e-mail, or fill the complaint form on the RBI website. There are no charges for filing a complaint. Grounds for rejection

The ombudsman can reject a customer's complaint if he has not approached his bank for grievance redressal first, or if the subject is pending for disposal, or has already been dealt with at any other forum, such as a court of law or consumer court. Also, the complaint will not be considered if more than one year has passed since the customer has heard from the bank, or 13 months since the date of representation to the bank.

The scheme caps the amount of compensation that can be doled out to Rs 10 lakh or actual loss suffered, whichever is lower. The ombudsman may choose to award the compensation, not exceeding Rs 1 lakh, to the complainant for mental agony and harassment. However, so far, this has been limited to complaints regarding credit card operations.

Legal route

If you are not happy with the settlement offered by the ombudsman, you can file an appeal before the appellate authority within 30 days. The appellate authority in this case is the deputy governor of the RBI. Alternatively, you can approach consumer redressal forums, which take up bank-related complaints, or even the courts.




Agree Comment 1 Agree over 5 years ago

In this instance, first you verify with the official’s that the documents submitted by you are sufficient or any more documents/clarifications required to be submitted further, if you receive satisfactory answer then you request them personally, failing which escalate the issue to the higher authorities/ ombudsman 

Agree Comment 1 Agree over 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.