Deepak Patel
Asked November 23, 2016

Legal consequences and action against bribe

  • 1 Answer

i don't have any proof that what amount i have paid but i have call recordings of that person and me that can be the proof but the person says that he is having terms with many of the IAS and IPS, in this case what should i do.

Answer 1

Unfortunately, you cannot sue for recovery of money like other contracts, because this is an illegal transaction/contract and it has an illegal purpose. There is no way you can get a court order asking this agent to return your money. Moreover, giving a bribe is an offence of "abetment of bribe taking by the public servant." with a punishment of imprisonment for a minimum term of 6 months extending to five years and payment of a fine.

Your best bet is to either talk to him and plead him to return you money, or else let the money go and restart your efforts to get the said work done, this time without allowing anyone to get a bribe from you.

You can report this incident at and they will follow up.

This agent is also a criminal under the Prevention of Corruption Act, since instances where individuals accept payments / gratification from others in order to influence a public servant by corrupt or illegal means or to exercise personal influence over a public servant is also an offence. So third party agents who accept bribes to be passed on to public servants also fall within the ambit of these offences. So he can also be booked under the PoCA.




Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.