Kang B
Asked June 10, 2016

New question

  • 1 Answer

I helped an accident victim by taking him to hospital. Now he has reached Police to file a case against me; I have been called by police.

Answer 1

The Supreme Court in a recent landmark case of Savelife Foundation and Ors. v. Union of India and Ors. [1], comprising of Justices V. Gopala Gowda and Arun Mishra has directed that people who help victims of road accidents or other calamities should not be harassed.  Therefore, no legal action will be taken against you if you are not involved in the accident in any way and just tried to save the victim as per the guidelines issued by the bench. At this juncture it is advised that you must visit the Police Station to ascertain the nature of the complaint filed against you. Meanwhile it will be prudent if you can collect evidences or witnesses who will substantiate your story when the matter is being investigated by the Police based on the complaint of the victim.

[1] Writ Petition (C) No. 235 of 2012 (Under Article 32 of the Constitution of India)
Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 6 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.