Asked November 11, 2016

Procedure for marriage under Special Marriage Act

  • 2 Answers

Hi, Is it mandatory for both the girl and the boy to be present to apply for court marriage under Special Marriage Act? We both are Hindus and we want marriage under Special Marriage act and not under Hindu Marriage Act as we don't want a ceremonial function. Can any one of the spouse apply for the marriage in their own state where they are living for more than a month? Thanks Nikhil

Answers 2

Yes, it's mandatory and of course both have to be present.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

Section 5 of the Special Marriage Act 1954 clearly stated that the notice has to be given to the Marriage officer of the district in which atleast one of the parties has resided for not less than 30 days preceeding the notice. Please find the relevant provisions below:-


Section 5. Notices of intended marriage

When a marriage is intended to be solemnized under this Act, the parties of the marriage shall give notice thereof in writing in the Form specified in the Second Schedule to the Marriage Officer of the district in which at least one of the parties to the marriage has resided for a period of not less than thirty days immediately preceding the date on which such notice is given.  

Section 6. Marriage Notice Book and publication

(1) The Marriage Officer shall keep all notices given under Sec. 5 with the records of his office and shall also forthwith enter a true copy of every such notice in a book prescribed for that purpose, to be called the Marriage Notice Book, and such book shall be open for inspection at all reasonable times, without fee, by any person desirous of inspecting the same. (2) The Marriage Officer shall cause every such notice to be published by affixing a copy thereof to some conspicuous place in his office. (3) Where either of the parties to an intended marriage is not permanently residing within the local limits of the district of the Marriage Officer to whom the notice has been given under Sec. 5, the Marriage Officer shall also cause a copy of such notice to be transmitted to the Marriage Officer of the district within whose limits such party is permanently residing, and that Marriage Officer shall thereupon cause a copy thereof to be affixed to some conspicuous place in his office.


Section 13. Certificate of marriage

(1) When the marriage has been solemnized the Marriage Officer shall enter a certificate thereof in the Form specified in the Fourth Schedule in a book to be kept by him for that purpose and to be called the Marriage Certificate Book and such certificate shall be signed by the parties to the marriage and the three witnesses. (2) On a certificate being entered in the Marriage Certificate Book by the Marriage Officer, the certificate shall be deemed to be conclusive evidence of the fact that a marriage under this Act has been solemnized and that all formalities respecting the signatures of witnesses have been complied with. 14. New notice when marriage not solemnized within three months.-Whenever a marriage is not solemnized within three calender months from the date on which notice thereof has been given to the Marriage Officer as required by Sec. 5 or where an appeal has been filed under sub-section (2) of Sec.8, within three months from the date of the decision of the District Court on such appeal or where the record of a case has been transmitted to the Central Government under Sec.10, within three months from the date of decision of the Central Government, the notice and all other proceedings arising therefrom shall be deemed to have lapsed, and no marriage Officer shall solemnize the marriage until a new notice has been given in the manner laid down in this Act.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.