in Criminal Law
Asked May 26, 2021


  • 1 Answer

My name is Ayush and I am a second year Arts student. During the last few months, I have been bullied by few of my classmates, online, as well as in person. Does this amount to ragging ? What can I do about this ?

Answer 1

You are correct. This behaviour of your classmates does amount to ragging under the UGC Regulations for curbing the menace of ragging (2009), and because their behaviour was over the internet too, it also amounts to cyber-bullying.You can complain to your college authorities about this behaviour. They are bound to take strict action against the perpetrators which includes rustication of the perpetrating students along with a criminal complaint in the nearest police station from your college. However, if you are not comfortable in contacting your college authorities about the same or if you feel that they might shelter the perpetrators, you can directly send an e-mail to the University Grants Council (UGC) Anti-ragging Helpline. The UGC will take cognizance of the matter and will forward the complaint to the Chief of Police of the city in which your college is situated, who will then take necessary further action.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 1 year ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.