Asked September 22, 2016

Refund for excess registration fee

  • 1 Answer

I am purchasing a flat in Kolkata. I already paid stamp duty and partial Registration fee on the agreement amount of Rs 7 lac paid to builder during agreement registration process, through a Query Number. And now during final Registration another Query number generating for complete Registration fee for Rs 40 lac valuation of the flat, including the amount already paid on Rs 7lac for the agreement amount paid. That means I am paying twice for the amount of Rs 7 lacs out of Rs 40 lacs. I have to pay this registration fee within next 2 days. Please tell me once I pay the fee through online process, how can I get refund of the excess Registration fee which I am paying twice. Also, for your knowledge, I am taking loan from bank and all my papers are with bank. Please help and suggest in such scenario. Provide me the relevant links and process through which I can get refund if there is any.

Answer 1

Default avatar
Anina D'cunha

The webpage for Directorate of Registration and Stamp Revenue, West Bengal is and the link for page detailing the existing rate of stamp duty on important articles of Schedule 1A of the Indian Stamp Act, 1899is

E-payment of Stamp Duty and Registration Fees can done via this link This link mentions that any refund will be credited to one’s bank account.Refund can be claimed under section 49 & 50 of the Indian Stamp Act, 1899. An application for a refund can be made on printed forms (Form No. 2 of the West Bengal Stamp Rules, 1994). The West Bengal Stamp Rules, 1994 states what is necessary for refund: contents of application, register of application, procedure after receipt of application, powers of the Collector to examine such applications, procedures when stamp is purchased in different districts, circumstances under which application may be struck off and the stamps destroyed, cancellation of stamps after grant of refund, etc.

These are the steps followed in the e-payment process: There is also a user manual for the e-payment process, available at

The website also has an Online Public Grievance Redressal System with a grievance submission form

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.