in Criminal Law
Asked May 26, 2021

Work place harassment

  • 1 Answer

Hi. I am a 26 year old female working in a BPO. I have a colleague who makes inappropriate advances and sometimes physically touches me too, against my will. Where can I complain about this ?

Answer 1

Hi. This behaviour of your colleague amounts to sexual misconduct or harrassment and since this has happened at your workplace, it falls under the ambit of Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.The intention of this Act is that workplaces are bound to restrict any sort of sexual harassment within regards to women. It includes women employees both from organised and unorganised spaces like private sector or non-governmental organizations (BPO in your case). Residential places such as houses also comprise as a workplace for domestic workers. It is the policy for protection of sexual harassment along with its prohibition of unwelcome behaviour, its prevention and the detailed framework for its redressal. So at first you can file a complaint to your office HR, who is bound to take notice of the case. It is mandatory for every office with a workforce of more than 10 people to have a Internal Complaints committee (ICC) to look after the alleged sexual misconducts of any employee and take necessary action. However, if your complaint doesn’t gets the necessary action you can starightaway reach to the the nearest police station and file a FIR under Section 354-A of the IPC.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 1 year ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.